Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Scream: 13.1 Miles of Pure Hill !!!

Great Race, Perfect Weather, it definitely lived up to its name!!!  The weather couldn't have been better (at least for summertime).... around 52 at the start and cloudy.  During the race we had a gentle rain on and off, I don't think the temp got above 62 all day.  The Course.....lets just say it is definitely a PR course, if you run it smart and don't have "issues".  Although it was not a PR for me,  it was a fun course and I met some great people.  Met up with a couple of people from a running group in Charlotte, Jack and Hazel, who took me under their wing, helped me through the last few miles, then after the race they introduced me to others in their group who had made the trek from Charlotte.  Jack placed third in his age group and Hazel, who had run the Grandfather Mountain Marathon the week before, placed second in hers!!! Jack runs tri's and has run Ironman's, Hazel said she runs about 6 marathons a year and has been running since 97  She is wicked fast on down hills.  When they were presenting the awards they got to my age group and he said the winner of the 60 to 64 age group is Terry Smith from.....long pause as he stares at his sheet and blinks his eyes... from Orlando!! (like who from Orlando  is going to win anything with hills in it!  It was almost the same reaction as from the salsa commercial when the guy says "New York City!!!")  But I at least I got a big cheer from my new running buddies from Charlotte.
As far as the race living up to its name.... I did not feel it after the race, but the next day on the drive home, I was literally SCREAMING trying to get out of the car to walk around, get gas, get food... the same type of feeling I had after my first marathon!!!

Lived up to it's name... it is 13.1 Miles of Pure Hill!!!!!
Cloudy start
I have no idea who these people are but what the heck..... I look like I could be with them!!!

The Charlotte Road Running Club who took me under their wing. Hazel is in the pink and Jack is in the Blue. Although I was told the other gentlemen's names I can't recall them right now.
Hazel, myself, another person from the Charlotte club, and Jack...  we were a little off guard when they took the picture.  We only got one shot, it was raining  and our awards were running :)

Moon Pie's House 
Post Race Lunch.... those of you who ran the Wild Hare last year will remember this

No comments:

Post a Comment