Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Marathon Wisdom and Pace Group Graffiti

"One of the most effective and under used training techinques is Rest and Recovery"
Terry Smith


Running is a Gift

Running is a gift you give yourself; but to truly enjoy running, like most gifts, it must be shared. When you share your running you begin to appreciate that it is not really an individual sport. Sure you must be the one to actually log the miles (haven't figured out a way to off-shore that yet!) but how many miles could you really log without the support of your running buddies? I know I couldn't (or wouldn't) log very many miles without the group! From my first marathon, to the triathlons, to the daily slogs it all seems to go better when accompanied by silly jokes, stories, and gossip. For this I am thankful of the gift all give my running buddies give me.
Now that I'm injured I am reminded of how much running - the physical exercise - and running - the social activity - mean to me. I hope that while I'm down my legs don't forget the miles I've already logged and my buddies don't forget to include me in the jokes, stories, and gossip! (But I have to admit Linda can keep the Donny Osmond music!)

Mary 12/24/09


“A marathoner is a marathoner regardless of time. Virtually everyone who tries the marathon has put in training over months, and it is that exercise and that commitment, physical and mental, that gives meaning to the medal, not just the day’s effort, be it fast or slow.”

- Mary Wittenburg, New York Road Runners


I won’t explain why I run…for those who ask, no explanation will suffice, for those who run, no explanation is necessary.~Unkown


It hurts and if anyone tells your different they lied......

Jeri 11/13/09

When you train for 6 months doing 10/1’s, stick to the plan during the race. Do not get caught up in the race hype and skip your walk break or miles 20-26.2 will smack you in the face! Listen to your group leaders!!!...

Rick Rizzo 11/13/09

No comments:

Post a Comment